Canon EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UMS lens

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hello Moose, first, congratulations on your baby. I recently, on February 7, 2012 had my third son.
I just discovered your forum and I wish I knew about it before.
I have a question: I recently purchased 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens for my T2i, replacing the kit lens 18-55mm to shoot some more photographs of my family.
When I connected the lens, it seems that it is a little bit loose after it was locked in place, only if you turn it clockwise and in opposite direction. It is a little tiny movemet, but is it acceptable? Also, I still can see the inner metal silver ring in lens, because a black plastic part of the lens did not come close to the camera body. It doesn't make sense, because a dust may collect between the lens and the camera body, and I think it may enter inside the camera. Please let me know what you think about it. The picture quality is great, better than my kit lens photos in sertain conditions.
One more, almost forgot: There is something shaking inside the camera itself when you move it back and forth. I noticed this sound after the first time connected my 15-85mm lens. Maybe it was before, but I did not notice anything.
Thank you,
Konstantin

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hello Konstantin
    I also have the 15-85mm and in answer to your question, no, there should be no movement or gaps when it is fitted to the camera.
    This is probably a stupid question, but you are lining up the white dots I guess? If you mount the lens by using the red dot, then the symptom you describe will occur.
    Check the locating lugs on the lens to see if they are bent or distorted and also on the camera.
    The rattle you hear may be the flash mounting. It is designed to move slightly and Canon makes mention of this in the T2i manual under troubleshooting.
    If this post does't help then I suggest getting the camera and lens checked out.
    Regards
    PBked
  • edited July 2012
    Thank you, PBked for responding to my questions. Yes, the white button on the lens corresponds with the lock button on the body, and the manual focus adjustment window on the lens is on top. Maybe the T2i has this issue sometimes with this lens? I do not remember having the same situation with the kit lens. I just checked the locating lugs on the lens and they seem strait to me, as well as in the camera body. The movement of the lens is probably a half of a millimeter, it is approximately 1/48 of an inch. It is not moving side to side or from bottom to the top. I mean it is only moving clockwise or vice versa. I like the lens, and will be disappointed if I have to send it back.
    Again, thank you for your response, it was helpful.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi again.
    Half a millimeter is a lot of movement! The 15-85mm is a great lens with good glass and not exactly cheap so I would still have it checked out as well as the camera. As I said above, there should be no movement at all when it is locked in.
    Regards
    PBked
  • edited April 2012
    Hi PBked, thank you. I will definitely have it checked out.
    I'm new to a photography field, so a good advise is welcomed.

Thank you,
    Konstantin