I can't decide which portrait lens to buy

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I have been reading your site for a couple of days now and it's awesome advice!! Thank you!! I am having trouble deciding which new lens to buy. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-250mm lens. I am starting a small portrait photography business and will be shooting mainly small family, children and baby portraits, engagements, pregnancy portraits and my 9 month old son a lot! ;)

Most of the year I will be shooting outside on location, so first I would like advice on a lens for these types of portraits outside. This is the priority now.

In a few months I will be wanting to take portraits indoors, but that lens can wait if possible (advice would be good here too).

I cant decide between the 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 or maybe the tamron 17-50mm f2.8?? I can spend up to and around $500. I have been reading up on all of them and I can't decide! Please advise...thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Hi Winter, I remember being in the same boat you are in not long ago.
    Of the three lenses you mentioned the 50mm f/1.4 beats the other two hands down.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great little lens but if you ever want bokeh the d/1.4 wins.

I have had a Tamron 17-50mm and it too is a good lens it just doesn't beat a prime especially for portraits. Hope that helps.

John
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks fotodude! I ended up getting the 85mm f/1.8. I am waiting for it to arrive! I hope I like it, and maybe I will get the 50mm f/1.4 next, or are they too similar? Maybe I need something wider for indoors?