Pictures aren't in sharp focus

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I've had several instances where my focus is not sharp, most recently at a soccer game. I was using the automatic runner dude. What settings should I use? I'm using the Canon 18-20mm lens that came with it.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi,
    The Canon 18-200mm lacks Canon's USM focusing and so it is not the best for focusing on moving subjects. Also I assume you were zoomed in to 200mm for the game, and if so, this is where camera shake can rear its ugly head. You need to use a fast shutter speed in order to reduce the effects of shake and to capture movement (anything between 1/500 and 1/1000th).
    When photographing sports the tendency is to try to pan and follow the action. Fair enough, but there is another technique called predictive focusing. With this method, you focus on an area where you think the action is going to happen. For example, if a football player is passing a ball to another player, focus on the other player and wait for the ball to come into shot. This method is not as difficult as it sounds and with practice you can get quite good at predicting the action. This is one reason why the professionals tend to gather behind the goal as they wait for that magic moment to happen. Instead of constantly panning, they wait for the action to come to them.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited July 2012
    You may have to switch to shutter priority (Tv). Press the shutter button halfway and look at the LCD display on top of the camera. Press the AF button and use the dial to set it to AI Servo, then press the drive button and set it to burst with the "H". Press the ISO button and set to A for auto. Ramp up the shutter speed using the small dial on top. Start with a not too fast shutter speed so you can still get enough light to the sensor (about 1/125 and increase it from there to 1/250 and so on if it is not stopping the action without blur). Also, the more you zoom in, the smaller the lens aperture will get and the longer the shutter speed will have to be to compensate (hence back to blurring). So be aware of how much you zoom. Good advice from above, wait for the action to pass you. Good luck.

Sorry if this tells you loads of stuff you already know.
  • edited July 2012
    Wouldn't hurt to set up on a tripod or a monopod if space is limited. That'll help reduce any movement of the camera and reduce your variables down to the action and the settings.
  • edited July 2012
    It's been my brief experience with the 60D that almost any attempt at shooting something in motion without a monopod or tripod results in blur from camera shake.

My camera shop guys suggested I turn off the anti-shake mechanism when using a tripod or monopod and I see no great effect. I only use it when I am trying to freehand something.
    I've learned to lean against things when not on the tripod or monopod.
  • edited July 2012
    With action shots you want to set it on TV. I have also set my 60D to use back button focus in AI Servo mode to track the action. I often shoot motosports and I can show you tack sharp images of motorbikes speeding at 200 + km/h.
  • edited July 2012
    @Richard146 -- I would like to see those photos, just because I think bikes are cool and fast bikes are cooler. MY email is austonbass2@hotmail.com if you want to swap photos.
    Cheers,
    Auston
  • edited July 2012
    I've always had a problem with getting frequent blurred images with my previous camera. I got the 60D with a kit lens 17-85mm IS. I've been pleasantly surprised that I'm actually getting well exposed results up to 1/8000 shutter speed (outside on a sunny day).

I've not played with the AF modes yet. 'AI Servo' mode sounds like it offers what you need.