Shooting models (ships, not people)

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I recently purchased a Nikon D3100 because I wanted a better all around camera for family photos, capturing the kids at play, etc. I also intend to use the camera to take close-ups of the model ships that I build. The Raynox DCR-250 lens sounds like a good idea, but I have two specific questions:

1. Are there any good tripods short of the full-size ones designed to stand on the ground? I'm thinking of something more compact that would able to hold the camera on a table top.

2. What would be a good starting point in terms of the camera's settings? I'm seeking a good starting point from which I can begin experimenting.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Hi Bill(Gorm)...

I chose the Joby GorillaPod SLR-Zoom from Amazon. You also get a ball head kit with it. It's designed for heavier cameras, and takes the D3100 with ease. Max height is about 12", but of course you can reduce this to any height by bending the legs. I use it for some tabletop photography and will be using it in the warmer weather when out and about to take low-level pics of flowers, insects etc. Only problem there is viewing the subject when the camera is that low. I'm hoping Nikon is going to bring out an updated version of the D5100 with tiltable LCD. I have the Fujiflm HS30, with tilt screen, and that is excellent for low-level work.

Point 2 - you mentioned the word 'experimenting', and it depends on what sort of detail you want to show. Aperture size will affect the depth of field, so a small aperture (large f number) will focus on a deeper area of your model than a larger aperture. If you use the small aperture, you will need a fairly long exposure. Use good continuous lighting if you have some available, and of course, use the tripod to avoid camera shake. You can use Live View if you want to check focus, press the 'magnify' button (second up on the left) to zoom in.

The kit lens should be fine; you can get in fairly close with it. The Raynox is an excellent bit of kit, will really bring out the detail (blemishes and all) of your model. Moose has a review of it on the website.