Was I right?

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose ,

I just purchased the T2i after much debating in my wallet and my head. I read somewhere that new camera buyers should purchase the camera within their budget and spend the extra money on quality glass.
All the reviews for the T2i/T3i and 60D were on par with each other as far as picture quality. Also on par with the 7D, all are using 'near the same' sensor. So I made the move for the T2i for the best picture quality for the money and I'm poised to purchase some nice "L" glass.
Immediately after taking delivery of this camera I am aware of the lack of build quality (it's light and small in my hands).
I will be doing 90% of my shooting outdoors and my fear is this camera will not stand up to travel and environmental constraints.
I felt the right camera for me without a doubt is the 7D. I am not a beginner by any means (over 30 yrs shooting), but just getting serious again.
Do you think I made the right move??

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I had the same impression as you, after my years with my 35mm. So far, the camera is holding up nicely. I am still learning settings and find some of my photos grainy when I zoom in. I expect for print, they should not be grainy at 100%, so I'm working on settings versus new glass. I got Canon lenses, slightly upgraded from kit lenses. For the most part I was really impressed and now I'm working on macro. I need to discover how to take action shots in low light. Not sure if that's the camera or lens, or both.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi flynn,
    It is true that the T2i has not got the build quality of the 7D or higher end cameras like the 5 or 1D, but you've got to remember that it was designed as a consumer camera (i.e. the likes of you and me, and not professionals). That said, it is a great little camera which has some features not available on the 7D.
    Even if I had a camera made of carbon steel, I would still treat it with kid gloves as I do my 550D. It has travelled extensively with me and still looks as good as new.
    If it feels small in your hands, have you considered fitting a battery grip? Not only will you get extended battery life, but it helps to give the camera a better balance with heavier lenses.
    I agree with you that it is a good idea to spend the pennies on better glass.
    Regards,
    PBked