Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm focus issues with my D3100

edited February 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
My lens has been acting up. Sometimes I can use the viewfinder and it will autofocus for me, but other times it just makes a clicking noise and won't focus. It won't focus in manual either. I can change the setting to live view and it will auto focus no problem, but I like to look through the viewfinder.

Still learning all I can with this camera, and my favorite setting is A, but I hope to get into using M more. I can't if my lens won't work right though. I have an AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm lens and it works fine.

I'm bummed, because I don't want to spend money to get it fixed. I'd rather spend money to get more lenses. ;) Any help would be great.

Comments

• @Lfinley6 - Here's the thing...the D3100 doesn't come equipped with a focus motor, so it relies on the focus system built into the lens. That's why only AF-S and AF-I lenses work with the D3100.

It sounds like the focusing mechanism inside your 18-55mm has died, but before you give up hope try cleaning the contacts on the lens with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Since your 70-300mm works fine, the contacts inside your D3100 shouldn't need to be cleaned. Re-attach your 18-55mm lens and cross your fingers.

If it still won't focus and you're outside the 1 year warranty period that Nikon provides, then you're only option will be to replace the lens. KEH (keh.com) is a great place to buy used lenses. They test each lens and then grade them on their condition. I just checked their site and they have some used 18-55mm Nikkors for under $100 bucks.

Hope that helps! :)