Cleaning my camera and kit lens

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I bought my Nikon D3100 about 4 months ago and have been religiously careful about keeping it clean, washing and drying my hands before using it (most of the time), no finger prints on the lens, keeping the caps on when not in use and regularly wiping the external body and lens off with a microfiber cloth.

My question is this...how do (or should) you clean the inner part of the lens. I'm not exactly sure what it's called (I'm a complete newbie) so I'll try to describe it. When you take the lens (the 18-55mm kit lens) off, on the part where it connects to the camera, inside there I can see a piece of dirt or dust that drives me crazy and is kind of nauseating when you look in the viewfinder and see it.

Is there any way I can remove it without damaging my lens? Thanks!

Comments

• Howdy @AmandaKCF - It's hard to tell from your description, but it sounds like you have a piece of lint or dust, either on the back of your lens or inside the camera chamber on the image sensor. Either way, take your microfiber cloth and wrap it around your finger. Then lightly touch the surface to pick up the piece of lint. Stay away from using solutions or liquids. If the piece of lint or dust is in the viewfinder, then you'll need to take it to a professional to get it removed. Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)