Shoot a Portrait using a tripod

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi. I'd like to shoot a portrait using a tripod. Is there a way of adjusting the settings so that the image is portrait-orientated even though the camera is horizontal? Cheers!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    The only way to do that would be to have your subject lying down - not what you want!

Most good tripod heads (the ones I've seen anyway) have a pivot which lets you turn the camera 'sideways'. If yours doesn't have that, its worth getting one.

You can also get various types of attachments that fit in between the socket on the tripod and the socket on the camera which let you orientate the camera how you wish.
  • No, lying down definitely wasn't the look I was after! My tripod head does pivot, it just feels kinda clumsy. Presumed I was missing something. Thanks loads for the help!
  • @JenOgilvie - As @robbo mentioned, it would be best to use a tripod that allows you to rotate and pivot the camera to your liking. If you can't upgrade at the moment, you can achieve 'portrait-orientated' images by cropping the image in post-processing. Essentially, you'll be cutting away the left and right side's of your 'horizontal' images. Hope that makes sense and happy shooting! :)