Macro (close-ups) with the 18-55mm or 55-250mm lenses

edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I recently bought a bundle from Costco that came with the 18-55mm kit lens and another 55-250mm lens. I only shoot photos outside and starting to become more and more interested in close ups of bugs, flowers, etc...

Is there any way I can take breathtaking macros without having to shell out another couple hundred bucks? I have some macros from an older camera that I could possible use on the T2i. I have a Tamron 70-300mm tele-macro and a 28-80mm macro. The problem is, they won't fit on my T2i as they're A mount lenses. I did a little research and found Sony's cameras fit the A mount lenses, so maybe there's an adapter of some sort such as A to EF or EF to A. So, if you know of any that'd be great.

Sorry I'm all over the board here, but i'd really appreciate any help.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Hi @bendix - Have you considered trying close-up lenses? They are fairly cheap and come in a range of filter sizes. The downside is a set of lenses will only fit lenses with that filter thread size.

Fortunately for you the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm have 58mm filter threads, so you could use them with either lens. Obviously, you would get better quality with a dedicated macro lens, but then you are talking money.

The other option is the Raynox lens suggested in several other posts. This is a close-up attachment that comes with several filter size adapters. Hope these suggestions are of use. Regards, PBked
  • Howdy @bendix - As @PBked mentioned, one of the best ways to dabble with macro photography is to start with a Raynox DCR-250 macro adapter. This little devices actually clips to the front of your 18-55mm or 55-250mm lens, instantly giving you the ability to capture close-up detail without the high price tag. Happy shooting! :)