Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Settings for a wedding in April, late in the day

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Same situation for me as well, I'm using my D5100 but renting a 17-55mm f/2.8.
    I was going for the 24-70mm but because of the sensor, I felt I would be better served working with the 17-55mm.
    It is also at 6pm, March 22nd, and I'm praying for warm/no rain weather. In Alabama, you never know, you could have snow (I'll take bread, haha kidding).
    It is a small venue outside and the reception is under a white tent.

The thing I am concerned about the most is the 17-55mm will be pretty much my only lens.
    When it comes to taking pictures at the alter, I don't think I will be any further than 35 to 50 feet away and that's where I am concerned.
    I don't want to become a spectacle and move around too much, but I don't want to miss anything either.
    For the service, while standing in the back, I was going to start with f/8, shutter 125 and ISO 400 (all depending of course) with a Demb "flip it" on my SB 800.
    That's where I get a little uneasy. Portraits, rings and food really don't worry me, it's the groups that worry me. I'm always concerned about individuals out of focus and I'm afraid with the 17-55mm the groups of the wedding party and families will have that problem.
    With the aperture at f/8 or f/11, do you think that would be ok?
    Thanks for your help.
    KT