Transferring pictures to a Mac without ViewNX 2

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I'm brand new to Nikon DSLR's. I just got a D3100 and am I trying to learn everything I can. I am an Abode user - Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5.

Is there any way around ViewNX 2 to get my pictures from my camera to my Mac? I don't want to use the included application and would like to free up space on my hard drive. I tried uninstalling it and found that my Mac didn't recognize the D3100. So I tried to remove the card and use a reader instead, but it still did not recognize the card. Is there any way around this? Thank You!

Comments

• Howdy @Carlalee - To answer your question, yes, you can pull all the images off the card via drag-n-drop rather than relying on ViewNX 2. You simply insert your card into the memory card reader, plug the memory card reader into your Mac, look under Devices to find the mounted memory reader and memory card, navigate to the DCIM folder and you'll find your images. From there you can just copy them to your hard drive.

Based on the fact that your Mac isn't recognizing the memory card, I'm wondering if your memory reader isn't compatible with your memory card. If you have an older card reader with an 'SD' slot, chances are it isn't compatible with the newer SDHC and SDXC memory cards. Check to make sure your memory card reader says "SD, SDHC, SDXC".

Let me know how it all shakes out.
  • Hey Moose! Thank you so much for your reply. I did trouble shoot further and found it is indeed my card reader that is not compatible with my new card. I did find also, that although the D3100 doesn't show up in Finder on my MacBook Pro, the pictures are available on the import screen in Lightroom 4. I was able to uninstall the ViewNX 2 program and free up precious disk space.

Thanks Again!
    -c-