HDMI Cable/TV Connection Issues

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I got a HDMI cable from an online retailer (monoprice) and it doesn't appear to work with my D3100 and TV. I tried adjusting the settings on both the camera and TV, but nothing displays on the TV when connected as described in the manual.

One post I saw hinted that there was a maximum length of 3' in order for the camera could push the signal through an HDMI cable. Does anyone have experience with this? My TV is a 5 year old Samsung and doesn't have the device control capability, but I believe the camera is supposed to work on regular HDMI as well.

I'm thinking about buying a 3' cable to try it, but wanted to try to learn more about what was going on first. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Wes

Comments

• edited April 2012
    If your TV has a HDMI input, I would have thought there must be some setting somewhere to make it switch to that input. Otherwise, how does the TV differentiate?

Maybe its supposed to detect the presence of a cable and switch automatically. My set has the switches for different inputs, but you have to make sure they are enabled - ie, able to appear in a list on screen so that you can choose one.

Otherwise, yes it might be the cable itself or a connector somewhere.
  • edited April 2012
    Many TV's may not automatically switch to an HDMI input. You may have to select the correct input by either using the remote or the controls on the TV.

Each HDMI connection on the TV will be numbered so it will be a matter of finding which HDMI port the lead is connected to, unless there is only one.

You may need to press a button on the remote called SOURCE to alter the input. What the button is actually named may be different based on the brand of TV or country.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure it is on the correct HDMI source input. My HDMI cable is 15' long. Has anyone had luck with one that long?
  • edited April 2012
    I did a quick search on HDMI cable lengths and although most seem to say long lengths are acceptable, I am dubious about a comparitively low-power camera being able to transmit data that far. Could be on the wrong track, but I would buy/borrow a standard length cable and try that.
  • @siberian11 - Honestly, I have no idea. It could be an issue with length or it could be a faulty HDMI cord. As @robbo mentioned, I would test another cable and see if that works for you. Let us know how it all shakes out.
  • I bought a 3' HDMI cable and it worked perfectly... i'm guessing the camera can only push the signal through a short cable. Thanks for the advice.
  • Glad it worked - and thanks for the feedback.