Lenses and Settings for Live band photos

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I recently got my Nikon D5100 around a month ago, and I chose it based on it's high ISO vs a 600D. I have taken some photos of a live band already with it, and it performed very well! I do not like to use the flash. When taking photos of bands, the lighting is usually the biggest challenge. I'm sure you guys already know that though.

Here's what I did when I tried the "new" camera at the last show...I used the kit 18-55mm lens and I set Auto ISO to the upper end. I knew that it would produce a lot of noise, but it did allow me to get shots I'd otherwise wouldn't have a prayer on. I used S (shutter priority) and kept it between 1/15 to 1/60.

I don't have a lot of cash to throw around, so every penny counts. That being said, I've considered getting the f/1.8 35mm prime when I get some more cash. I know the f/1.8 would bring in more light (and allow lower ISO's and faster shutter speeds), but I'm guessing a depth of field that narrow may not work so well with many of the photos. Would I end up having to crank the the f/number up to get more of the scene in focus, and thus, negate the advantage of the lens? Please let me know if I'm not making sense here, I'm still learning. :)

I also have the 55-300mm lens (got it as combo with the camera). I use the 55-300mm 98% of the time and I love the reach. Plus, the VR works very well. It isn't so hot for shows, since less zoom and wider angles are not it's strong suit. It could be useful at a larger venue where I can't get as close to the stage I suppose?

Anyway, I guess I'm asking what would be the best set up/settings for such situations (live bands)? What would I need to do to get really good at it, without breaking the bank of course? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

From what I know, I'm afraid I'm going to have save up for a lens that costs as much as the camera or more. :( On a side note, I would love to get the Nikon 28-300mm, but it's currently out of my price range.

I've already learned some important tips from reading the forum so far! I'm loving the site @Moose!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Howdy @rallyshark - For a beginner, you definitely have a good knowledge of how things work. As you mentioned, a "brighter" lens would give you the ability to obtain faster shutter speeds at lower ISO's.

In regards to the shorter depth of field produced by a large aperture (low f-number)...yes, it would limit your ability to get the entire band in focus. However, some of the coolest musician/band photos are those where you isolate moments throughout the show...like focusing on the drummer or guitarist during a solo, close-up shots of the instruments, faces, hands, feet, etc...

If you wanted to get the entire band in focus while maintaining a large aperture, then you'd have to shoot from a distance using an f/2.8 telephoto zoom lens, otherwise, you'll need to use a higher f-number to lengthen the depth of field to get everything in focus.

The setup for shooting bands, concerts and musicians really depends on your access and how close you are to the stage. If you have free access to move around the stage at a close distance, then the Nikon DX 35mm f/1.8G would be a great starter lens. If you're shooting from a distance, then a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens would be a better choice.

As for settings, I would stick to Shutter priority (S on the mode dial) and use shutter speeds of 1/60 or faster. To help improve your shutter speed, try enabling Center-weighted or Spot metering. Instead of metering the entire scene, the D5100 will pinpoint the exposure depending on the subject you're focusing on. This usually increase's the shutter speed a bit in low light.

I would also rely on Continuous (burst) mode as it will allow you to fire off a series of shots in quick succession...improving your odds of finding a keeper.

That should get you going in the right direction. Thanks for the kind words and happy shooting! :)
  • Thanks so much for the suggestions Moose! I have some more to add when I get more time. To be continued....