Would like to know how to get a sharper image

edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hey Friends, I'm not satisfied with the quality of image output. I use the Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (non-IS) lens for clicking birds and distant objects. The result is a blurred image, where the bird/object is not clear or sharp. My expectation is a sharp image with fine details, however, that's not working out. Moose and friends, please suggest and direct me on this. What should I be doing?

My Gear :
Canon 60D
75-300MM f4-5.6 Non-IS
50mm f/1.8
18-55mm IS kit lens

I'm breaking my head over this. Cheers, Phanindra G.V.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Hi @gvijayphani - The 75-300mm is quite a weighty lens and being non-IS, I think your problem may be camera shake.

As a general rule your shutter speed should match or exceed your focal length. So if you are zoomed to 300mm, your shutter speed needs to be 1/300 or higher to limit the effects of camera shake.

Obviously your shutter speed will affect your aperture and ISO also. If you are using Auto ISO, it could be that the ISO is being set too high and producing a lot of grain and loss of detail. Even if you are using a tripod where slower shutter speeds can be used you can still have camera shake issues.

To help avoid this some photographers will use mirror lock-up or the self timer. Hope this helps. Regards - PBked
  • edited April 2012
    I second with @PBked. Use a tripod and a remote/delay. If you must hold it, use a monopod or a nearby tree.
  • edited April 2012
    Ok, that makes sense to me. Thank you @PBked and @Stalwartjah. As you folks suggested, I'll use my tripod with a selftimer. For bird photography, I will maintain a shutter speed of 1/300+. Thanks again folks. Cheers, Phanindra G.V.
  • @gvijayphani - It sounds like you've got things figured out. I will add that "active" birds sometimes require a shutter speed between 1/500 to 1/1000 in order to "freeze" their quick movements. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited July 2012
    I'd just add that you check where the camera is focusing. Is it using nearby branches, etc rather than the subject bird?
  • edited July 2012
    Upgrading to the updated IS version of this lens 70-300mm might be useful in the long run. Check CL/Ebay and you might find one for under $200. Good user reviews as well.
  • I just watched a few YouTube videos about getting sharp images. They all mentioned that you should use 1000+focal length (for still subject) or 1000+(focal length*2) (for moving subject) or greater as your shutter speed. In your case, use 1/1300 or 1/1600.
  • edited July 2012
    @cocreateguid
    Don't believe all you see on Youtube.
    If I can take perfectly sharp photos at 1/50th second without IS, why on earth would I want to use a shutter speed of 1/1300th?
    As a general rule, to avoid camera shake you should use a shutter speed roughly equal or greater than the focal length of the lens (ie. lens = 250mm then shutter should be 1/250th or more). With lenses equipped with IS then you can achieve sharp results at slower speeds than this.
    PBked
  • For birding also consider making sure your tripod is well grounded and not picking up vibration from the wind.