Don't wan't to use Auto mode anymore

edited February 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi, I'm fairly new to DSLR cameras. Been using a Sony Nex-5 for a year now and always found my favorite setting to be auto or shutter priority.

I just bought a new Canon 60D, but I'm having trouble with auto mode. I've been using Tv shutter priority, but after setting the shutter speed I always get a flashing value which says the pictures are going to be over or under exposed.

I'm finding it hard to get all the values to work together (frustrating). Ideally I would like to have my iso set at 100/200 as you never know when your gonna get that printable shot, whilst having a fast shutter speed ideal for moving kids and a nice shallow deph of field.

Any suggestions on settings or picture modes? Thanks!

Comments

• @Crystalkairon - Howdy and welcome! Yep, I know it can be frustrating. Learning how shutter speed, aperture and ISO work together will take some time.

I understand the desire to control the ISO in order to prevent image noise, however, an inaccurate exposure is worse in most cases.

Shutter priority (Tv) allows you to control the shutter speed, while the 60D controls the aperture and ISO (when Auto ISO is enabled) to capture an accurate exposure. If you restrict the ISO to a specific value, then the 60D can only adjust the aperture which can present some problems when shooting in low-light or outdoors in bright light.

If I were you, I would revert back to Auto ISO for the time being. The 60D will naturally try to use low ISO. If there's not enough light, the 60D will begin raising the ISO sensitivity to get an accurate exposure.

If you're concerned about image noise in low light situations, I would think about using a speedlite (external flash), attaching a "bright" lens or running your images through dedicated noise removal software.

A speedlite like the Canon 320EX will dramatically improve your low light (indoor) shots, giving you the ability to bounce the flash off a ceiling rather than directly at your subject for more even coverage throughout the room. This "bouncing" effect gives you much more natural looking shots indoors. Speedlite's do a great job of freezing subject movement, while keeping the ISO down to a reasonable level.

A "bright" lens like the Canon 50mm f/1.8 will give you the ability to obtain lower apertures. Lower aperture f-numbers can increase the shutter speed and lower the ISO at the same time.

Dedicated noise removal software like Noise Ninja can lower the intensity of image noise (grain). However, I wouldn't expect miracles. It does a fantastic job when the exposure is spot on. If you're shots are severely underexposed and are littered with noise, you'll need to go with a speedlite or "bright" lens to improve your low light shots.

If you don't have the budget to upgrade right now, you can try experimenting with Night Portrait mode (icon with a person standing next to a star) when shooting indoors or in low light. In this mode the 60D will use a longer shutter speed to expose of the of background light, giving your built-in flash shots a more natural look. Just make sure you and your subject remains very still throughout the shot to prevent blur.

Hope all of that makes sense. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited February 2012
    Ms. Crystal,

I would suggest that you up your ISO limit. Like Mr. Moose stated it frees you camera's ability to make corrections. Just so I can know it was said, the higher the ISO the Brighter the lighting in the pictured area.

I think you could get it all hammered out if you spend time just playing with your gear and finding what works for the types of photos you want and like. I keep a pocket notebook in my gear bag to write down settings that I want to remember in specific lighting situations, (old film days). But, remember that you can look on the info of the photos you really like and get all the settings from there. I know this sounds a bit indepth, but I am sure it can help you get your mind wraped around the settings that produce the results you like, and you can go there for a starting point.

I hope this helped!
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Auston,
    You mentioned "remember that you can look on the info of the photos you really like and get all the settings from there". Please tell me how I can check the settings for the photos I have taken because I have some lovely pictures but can't remember what the settings were.

Good idea about keeping a notebook. I still have to refer to my typed notes in my laptop to remember what aperture, ISO and shutter are and how they affect image. It still hasn't stuck in my head!
  • @maiMelissa - Hi again, on your camera when you view your image on the screen just press the "i" botton of the back of the camera body and it shows the settings used.

When you view the images on your computer useing the DPP program that came with your camera just click on the image you want to see. Right click on the image and look at the bottom of the list that poped up and you will see "info". Left click on this and another side bar appears and shows you all the data on that image.

Let me know if you can't find it Melissa. Hope it helps, can't wait to see some of your prize winning photos.

Later,
    Auston
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks Auston. I did just that and now I'm able to see the settings. This group rocks!
  • edited September 2012
    My photos are still coming out dark, so I'm trying to figure out what to adjust to take pictures. Even when flash is on they are coming out dark. I'm taking them inside my house.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Melissa,
    Another new item for you to consider is white balance. Auto white balance does not always do a great job indoors. Try selecting a different preset or set-up your own custom white balance (not as difficult as it sounds, just refer to the manual).
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited September 2012
    @maiMelissa - Something else you can look at is your exposure indicater. Ok, looking at your screen in live view or thru your view finder, it will be the row of numbers (-3.-2.-1.-0.1.2.3). This is what you will be looking for. It will have a little line mark over a number, just a little tick mark. If the tick mark is over on the negitive side the photos will be dark, due to under exposure. If it is on the positive side then the image will be bright, or over exposed. Now to adjust this while holding your shutter release in the focus (half way) zone, rotate the thumb disk clock wise to go to the positive side, and counter-clock wise to go negitive. What happens, (it happened to me as well) is when you are looking thru your view finder your nose can turn the disk with out you even knowing. I caught it with my nose and also with my thumb when shooting vertical shots. Check it out and I bet that is your troubles.

Also PBked, has a great point about the white balance. I started getting way better shots when I started paying attention to this. I carry a sheet of the photo paper I use in a protective sleeve and use it to calibrate my WB in the lighting of the place I will be photographing if I know I want to print some of the pictures. Hope this helps, glad to have helped before.

Later,
    Auston