Best settings for isolating objects

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi, I just purchased the Nikon D5100 (with kit lens). I'm looking to take general pictures and pics of objects with a 'blurry background' effect. What settings and ISO would you recommend I use?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Howdy @Duggu2012 - It's best to use a lens with a maximum aperture between f/1.2 to f/2.8 as this allows you to easily isolate subjects against blurry backgrounds. Your kit lens can only go down to f/3.5 when shooting towards the wide-end (18mm) and f/5.6 towards the long end (55mm).

In order to isolate subjects with your kit lens, you'll need to use the lowest available aperture, zoom to 55mm and create as much space as possible between your subject and the background. In order to control the aperture, just rotate the mode dial to Aperture priority (A on the mode dial) and then rotate the smaller command dial to set your aperture.

I would leave the ISO set to Auto until you get a better understanding of how aperture, shutter speed and ISO work together to get a properly exposed photograph. Take some time and browse the D5100 forum. You'll find some great threads that discuss settings for a wide variety of subjects and scenes. Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks very much with the information. Im looking at getting the 55mm-200mm lens. Is this a good lens for what I want to do?

Also I'm heading to Thailand and want to take some general holiday snaps. Which dial would you say is the best overall to use? Thanks again.
  • edited March 2013
    @Duggu2012 - The 55-200mm has a maximum aperture range between f/4-5.6. When means the lowest aperture you can use at 55mm is f/4 and the lowest aperture you can use at 200mm is f/5.6.

As mentioned in my previous comment, if you want to isolate subjects against a silky smooth background it's best to use a lens than can obtain apertures between f/1.2 to f/2.8, like the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G or the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G.

Both of these lenses are capable of obtaining an aperture of f/1.8, which will shorten the depth of field and give you the effect you're after.

As for settings, the quickest and easiest way to go about it would be to select one of the available Scene modes based on the subject or scene. You can read more about them here. Happy shooting! :)