Wedding photography lenses and settings

edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I have a Canon T2i with the EF-S 18-55mm and EF-S 55-250mm. I was asked to take pictures in my friend's wedding. I usually take pictures using the custom Program mode (P) and I absolutely hate using the built-in flash. I've been thinking about upgrading to a new lens for portraits and group photography for a long time and I think it's the right time.

What would be your recommendation? I was looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM.

Also, what would be your suggestion on using other modes like Av, Tv, M, A-Dep, to use besides the P-settings for the wedding. The ceremony is in the morning and the reception is in the evening in mid-May. Thank you.

Comments

• Howdy @sagun - Let's dive right in...yep, the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L (see here) is probably the most popular lens among wedding photographers. It's razor sharp, quick to focus and captures wonderful color tonality. You also get an ideal zoom range (24-70mm) which is more than sufficient for the types of shots you'd normally take at a wedding at a low f/2.8 constant aperture which ensures reduced noise and better low light performance.

As for settings, I recommend Aperture priority in the beginning. Start with the following setup...

1. T2i with the 24-70mm f/2.8L attached.
    2. Enable Aperture priority mode (Av).
    3. Set the aperture to f/2.8 for individual portraits, food, flowers, hands, clothing, cake, etc... Adjust it to f/4 for bride and groom shots. For larger groups (wedding parties), bump it between f/5.6 to f/8.
    4. Set the AF mode to One Shot.
    5. Set your AF point to center when you need pinpoint control (focusing on the eyes).
    6. Adjust the Drive mode to Continuous shooting.
    7. Adjust the metering mode to Center-weighted for portraits and close-ups of the bride/groom, otherwise, leave it set to Evaluative. There may be instances where you might also want to experiment with Spot metering for cool effects (like intentional sun flare).

With these settings in place, half-press the focus and re-compose the shot for better framing. When you're ready, fully press the shutter and hold it down to rattle off a series of shots in quick succession. Not only does this improve your odds of finding a keeper, but it's also a great way to capture candid moments.

In addition to the above mentioned settings, I recommend you check out the Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby (see here). It's got an entire section about shooting weddings like a pro. What I like about this book, is that it doesn't read like a book. Rather, each page focuses on a singular tip or technique, which you can use as a reference when out in the field.

That should get you going in the right direction. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thank you very much for the info @Moose. I will try out the settings. Just waiting on the lens now.