Micro (Macro) Lens for the D3100

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I'd like to know, what's the best macro lens for Nikon D3100?

Comments

• Howdy @salymbe - It really comes down to your maximum budget and the types of macro subjects you intend to shoot. If you can give me an idea for both (budget and subjects), I can point you in the right direction. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2013
    I ordered a Raynox DCR 250 from eBay a month ago but it never got delivered. A friend of mine suggested that it happened for good, because I have now received the refund and can go for a dedicated macro lens this Christmas.

My budget is $350-$400. I would mostly be photographing flowers, insects, bugs, small objects etc. Also, most importantly, I have a small baby and I can never get enough of photographing her. Indoor photos of her with an 18-55mm has never been satisfactory. I was also planning to buy a 50mm prime lens after reading so many positive recommendations here on this forum.

Now, if I invest in any macro lens with the above mentioned budget, which one should that be? Also, would this macro lens somehow do the work that Raynox DCR 250 and Nikon 50mm prime lens would have done?

Regards,
    Sharad
  • edited March 2013
    It is a hair out of your price range, but may be worth looking into the Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX Micro ED VR (refurbished or used perhaps if you couldn't quite swing it).

Here's a link to some specs on B&H website. It's macro and portait, and a decent price considering some macro lenses can be closer to the $1000 mark (which I refuse to pay, personally).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656971-USA/Nikon_2190_AF_S_DX_Micro_NIKKOR.html?BI=4651&KBID=5154