Nikon D3100 maintenance and cleaning

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi @Moose, great forum mate! I've had my D3100 for about a year now and I'm very happy with it. Thing is, I've never cleaned the thing and I want to look after it. It doesn't say much about maintenance, cleaning, etc... in the manual so I wondered if there is a kit I could buy to contain cloths, cleaning solution and instructions?

What do you guys do and how often do you do it? Should I have done it by now? I don't seem to have a problem at the minute with dirt/dust, but wanna stay on top of it. Cheers!

Comments

• Howdy @chugnut - When it comes to the internal chamber of your Nikon D3100, refer to the old phrase..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you don't notice any dust/lint when looking through the viewfinder, then leave it alone.

In regards to keeping the body/lens clean and spiffy, I rely on three tools...

1. Giottos Air Blaster (see here) - This is a fantastic blower that isolates the blast into a very fine stream of air, which help dislodge dirt and debris in tiny crevasses.

2. Kabuki Brush (see here) - Yes, it looks like something you took out of your wife's purse, but it does a much better job than tiny brushes included with lens pens. This Kabuki brush in particular, is retractable...which allows you to protect the bristles from damage and more dust.

3. Carson Microfiber Cloth (see here) - You can use an old 100% cotton shirt or get yourself a cheap microfiber cloth. This one in particular, retracts into a pouch...keeping it clean.

Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks for the replies chaps!. Bought myself a little brush and I'll look into getting a blaster. Glad to hear the advice about the internal chamber. I really didn't wanna go digging around in there. Cheers!