Deciding between a 35mm or 50mm lens

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I'm looking for a lens to accompany my D3100. I'm looking at the AF-S 50mm or the AF-S 35mm. If anybody has one or knows of one I'd be greatful for any pointers in the right direction. :-) Regards, Matt

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I got my D3100 in August along with a kit lens. I wanted to expand a bit, so when my daughters asked what I wanted from Santa I asked for a 50mm or 35mm f/1.8?

With a 1.5x crop factor on the D3100, a 35mm works out to be 50mm which was the old standard for film, while the 50 mm is closer to 80mm.

It depends on what you want the lens for. An all-singing and dancing lens would cost a fortune, so there are limitations. Decide what you really want to photograph. Buy one and get the other for your birthday after suitable hints.

Both lenses are great for portraits, but for groups you will have to move back at bit with the 50mm. I have often wondered whether it would have been better to go for the 35mm, but sometimes think I am better off with the 50mm.

Either way, they are great lenses that let in a lot more light. If really pushed, personally for my own purposes, the 35mm might have been better. So 6 months till my next birthday!
  • edited April 2012
    I was wanting to take some landscape pictures, but also get some nice close ups with nice bokeh. What do you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated before I part with my money...lol!
  • edited March 2013
    Howdy @sunchaser - If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading my write-up on both lenses...35mm f/1.8G here and the 50mm f/1.8G here.

Both lenses are highly capable of capturing silky smooth bokeh. I wouldn't neccesarily classify either as a "landscape" lens, however, you can take some beautiful nature shots (leaves, branches, spider webs, rocks, etc...).

In terms of sharpness and overall performance, they're practically identical.The primary difference between the two lenses is field of view. The 35mm gives you a slightly wider field of view, which makes it easier to shoot indoors or in small spaces.

However, when shooting outdoors the 50mm f/1.8 gives you added distance between you and your subject. This can be beneficial when shooting portraits (makes people feel more comfortable when the camera isn't so close) and for bugs that get spooked easily (like butterfly's).

Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thankyou to everyone that responded to my question, I think I'll go to the shop and try one out and see what I think is better for me personally. @Poolkas, waiting is so hard when you want something so badly, LOL. :-)