Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction

edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have two lenes with my Canon 60D, the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM. The 18-135mm is compatible with Peripheral Illumination Correction, however, the 100-400mm isn't. Any ideas how I address this problem?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Hi @paulr - Your camera holds info for about 25 lenses, it may be that the 100-400mm is not among them. However, from what I understand, if the lens has correction data then PIC will be applied. The Canon DPP software has a more extensive list of lenses so you could check to see if your lens appears here.

Have you checked Canon's support site for any firmware updates which include your lens? Hope this helps. - PBked

P.S. As a quick check, take two pictures of the same subject using your 100-400mm with PIC enabled and then disabled. Compare the 2 pics side by side in your editing software. You will soon see if PIC has been applied.
  • edited April 2012
    Hi again. I didn't know this because I don't have the software, but if you have EOS utility, you can register any Canon lens with correction data to your camera. Apparently the PDF help file explains exactly how to go about it. Regards, PBked
  • Howdy @paulr - The Canon 60D has an APS-C sized image sensor which is smaller than the full frame sensor (like the one inside a Canon 5D). EF-S lenses are designed specifically for APS-C sized sensors and project a smaller sized image when compared to EF lenses. Sometimes these smaller sized images result in vignetting or darkened corners.

The Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction is designed to compensate for light fall off in the corners, specifically with EF-S lenses since they project a smaller sized image onto the image sensor.

Your EF 100-400mm isn't compatible with Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction, because it projects a larger image onto the image sensor, thus minimizing the effects of light fall off. Hope that makes sense. Happy shooting! :)