Advice on set up with external flashes

edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I would like some input on settings that you use when using external flashes. I have three external flashes that I use and usually shoot in Tv mode with a shutter speed around 1/125. Any ideas on what metering would be best? Any favorite setups for the T2i or placement of the external flashes? What about good diffuser set ups? I love flash photography, so any advice is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Howdy @matthew88miller - As you can imagine, flash photography is a technical skill that is continually being pushed by the photographic community...which means there are multitudes of setups and techniques, based on the effect you're going for.

To get started, I highly recommend Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book Volume 2 (see here), which has some great information on flash photography directed towards beginners. What I like about this book, is that it doesn't read like a book...rather, every page is broken down into a particular tip or technique. This makes it easy to reference when you're out in the field (or studio).

You might also check out the Strobist blog (see here) for more advanced flash lighting techniques. Happy shooting! :)