Difference between these lenses?

edited August 2018 Posted in » Nikon D3300 Forum
Can someone tell me what the differences are between these two lenses and if one would be better than the other? Using mainly for taking pictures of my boys playing soccer outdoors.
Also what does (white box,new) mean?

NIKON AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Lens - White Box (New) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RUBK53Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_r4YzBb211B304

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens Bulk packaging (White box, New) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O161X0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_E5YzBbE596DF4

OR there is also this bundle with a d3400 rather than 3300.

So you all need to help decide between d3300 with one of the above lenses OR the 3400 bundle listed below.

Nikon D3400 w/AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED (Red) and Camera Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRXYN6H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_H9YzBb7BAB4F4

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• The white box means it's gray market, probably either packaged for another country, or removed from its original Nikon packaging, perhaps by breaking up another kit, but not actually used. Nikon USA does not warranty this equipment and will not touch it in or out of warranty. You'll need to find third party repair if anything goes wrong.

Nikon USA lenses will come in a Nikon USA box (gold, not white), and all new lenses include a 5 year extended warranty. This includes the kit lens that comes with a camera, even though the camera's warranty is only a year.

The VRII lens is a newer model. Note that it has a button to retract making it more compact to store. The earlier VR lens lacks this. Both are probably decent performers, but you might do well to browse comparative reviews to see if testers noted any significant difference other than the better VR.

The bundle of the D3400 wth a 70-300 AF-P has the correct 18-55 mm. AFP-VR lens, but the 70-300 lens is the cheaper P lens with no VR. Note also that the camera is red in color. Some people like that but some do not.

The price given in the Amazon ad is exactly the same price B&H gets for the same kit, USA authorized and all black (but still with the less desirable non-VR lens).

Unless the ad specifies that a camera is Nikon USA, assume it is not. And unless you see VR, assume there is none. In addition, though it may be all right, you cannot assume that the accessories generally included with the camera are actually there, if they are not mentioned. A proper USA import camera will have a Nikon battery and charger, and a printed manual (a lousy abridged one in the case of the D3x00) and probably a CD with the full manual in PDF form and some kind of image processing software.

Obviously in cases like this it's the buyer's choice whether a lower price is worth the risk of no warranty. I've never needed the warranty on a camera, but I did once on my 55-300 lens, and was glad that after three years, I could just send it back to Nikon and get it fixed (actually in this case replaced entirely). It's always going to be a gamble. But before you jump at what appears to be a lower price, make sure that you have looked at the major mail order dealers (B&H, Adorama, Best Buy, to name a few) to make sure that they do not have competitive deals, because Nikon USA often gives bundle discounts and rebates that make it even).