Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Traveler's dilemma: which lens to pack

I have an upcoming trip and I'm dreading my lens limit. I'll be visiting Grand Canyon, Rainbow Bridge, Horseshoe Bend, and several slot canyons (both upper & lower Antelope, and a few that are...less travelled).
The catch--I'm flying, then backpacking/kayaking. So...space is more limited than usual and every single ounce counts.

How am I to decide which lens to take for my D3400?

Options include: Nikkor 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6, the kit 18-55mm, or 70-300mm.

Any tips or advice from those who have been there would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• A big dilemma always. I'm not sure just what the pack limit is, but if you really need to take only a single lens on such an important trip, I think one option, costly though it is, might be to find a wider range normal zoom. Something like the 18-140 is not outrageously expensive, but decently sharp and able to get a reasonable shot of wildlife. I have the 16-85 which is a bit pricier than the 18-140, but works pretty well as a general purpose zoom, and adds a pretty decent bit of width. Despite its relative shortness, it's not bad on a crop sensor camera with a 24 megapixel sensor. It starts out as a mild telephoto and you can crop quite a bit and still have something. If you can take two lenses it might be a bit easier, as you could cover the widest angles with the 10-20 and supplement that with a not-too bulky zoom. I'd be inclined to leave the 70-300 behind, just because of its bulk. You'll miss some birds and wildlife, likely, but I suspect you'll be wide more often.

You say you're kayaking. Is the camera going to be on board? If so, you might have to consider a waterproof case, and that, in its turn, may rigidly determine what fits inside it.