FD to EOS lens converter?

edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi @Moose - I'm new here, I stumbled upon your site by accident while surfing the web researching the Canon T2i. Mine just arrived today, so I'm excited to get back into SLR photography.

Years back I owned several Canon SLR's, all film (AV-1, AE-1, etc...) and had several decent lenses, a Tamron 70-200mm macro, the old version of the "nifty fifty" and a 28mm wide angle. When I went digital I went to point and shoots, was never quite happy with the images I took, so I've jumped back into DSLR.

Obviously, getting into DSLR photography can be an expensive venture, and especially if you've done it once before in the film format it's tough to start over buying lenses, etc...

So, in my wanderings on the web I came across lens converters like those found on Fotodiox that allow me to use my old FD mount lenses on the EOS mount. They run about $40 for the basic mount, a bit more for a converter with the focus sensor chip.

Do you have any experience with these? If so, could you discuss the pros and cons of using them? Thanks!

Comments

• Howdy @NJStricker - Welcome back to the world of SLR's! :)

The Fotodiox model (see here) has a removable corrective lens and an all-metal design. It's a little tricky at first trying to connect FD lenses to the adapter and adjusting the aperture control lever, but after a few tries you'll figure everything out.

When coupled to your T2i, you can expect good image quality with prime lenses and decent image quality with zooms. As long as you're comfortable with manual focus, metering and exposure, you'll enjoy using your old lenses again. Happy shooting!
  • Thanks Moose! I'm enjoying the forum.