Number of photos left on memory card

HJJHJJ
edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hello everyone. Dumb question: I inserted the sd card in camera and the display said I have 999 photos to go. I took approximately 200 photos and the display still says I have 999 photos to go. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Here's my guess...I'm going with one of two things. Either your file size is set too low or your memory card is 32GB or higher. The camera only indexes up to 999. You might have a 10,000 shot capacity at your current settings, but it's only gonna say 999. So, if you have your file size down around 5MB you're gonna fit a lot more photos on that card than if you had it set to RAW.

• HJJHJJ
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for your help. Looks like I didn't need that 16GB card after all. Looked up the capacity and it says it holds 5000 or so pics. Wow!
  • edited April 2012
    Howdy @HJJ - The max image count the display can show is 999. If your card can hold more then 999 images, it'll continue to display 999 until the capacity drops below 999. Never thought I'd ever say 999 so many times. ;) For future reference, I have a photo and video capacity chart at various memory card sizes for the Canon 60D here. Happy shooting!
  • HJJHJJ
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the info @Moose and @Stalwartjah. Appreciate this forum. Very helpful, even with dumb questions like mine. I can't believe nobody talked trash or anything. :)
  • edited April 2012
    No problem @HJJ. Have fun with your toy!
  • edited July 2012
    I also had the same question, but never asked. I even looked over my manual a few times and couldn't find anything. I now know, from your answers. I also find your information, @Moose, very helpful! I actually googled information a while back about everything you listed, before I purchased my memory cards, and I couldn't find anything as useful as yours! Thanks!
  • edited July 2012
    @HJJ - I have always told my soldiers and my children, "The only dumb question is the one you have and don't ask". I am glad to be part of a site that folks can ask for help and not get hammered.