Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3200 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Shutter Speed Question

I hope this makes sense as I cannot find an answer anywhere.

I am in manual mode. I am using the cheat sheets for outdoor child pictures.

Issue: when I raise my shutter speed up, I go to the little meter with the +/- in the middle to make sure the exposure is on- move it a spot or two.

When I do this, my shutter speed also moves.

How do I get it where my shutter speed does not move? Is it a setting that I might have on that I don't know about?

Comments

• @CTOLDO12 If you're in manual mode and you have the aperture, shutter speed and iso all set to a specific value, those values shouldn't change. With regards to the light meter, it will change depending on where you point the camera. Say you have an aperture of f/5.6, a shutter speed of 1/200 and the ISO is fixed at 100. When you go to take the picture, the meter is perfectly lined up in the middle. Then a few moments later, you move under a tree with heavy shade and go to take another picture using the same settings and the meter is now showing a negative exposure. This is because the amount of light in the scene has dropped, so the settings have to be adjusted accordingly to compensate for the loss of light.
  • Don't forget that with this camera, when in manual mode, to change aperture instead of shutter speed, you must hold down the [+/-] button when turning the wheel. It does only shutter speed when used alone.