Using the 40mm f/2.8 lens for close-up portraits & candids

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I just purchased the D5100 (with 18-55mm kit lens) and a Nikon 40mm f/2.8 lens (which I absolutely love). Most of the photos that I take aside from everyday stuff is of my 2 year old child (I guess you can call them close-up candids).

Anyway, I want to make the most out of my shooting experience with this lens. I also enjoy taking macro shots of flowers, etc... I have a Nikon SB-700 speedlight and I also purchased an off-camera cord since it was inexpensive and I thought I might be able to get creative with light sources, if my subject is extra-cooperative!

I also purchased a filter kit that includes a UV protector, Circular Polarizer, and a Neutral Density 0.6. I didn't really know which I wanted to use "most of the time" so I figured this would give me some options while allowing me to keep a filter on both lenses at all times. With the equipment provided, can you give me some setting suggestions that will allow me to branch out of Auto mode? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Howdy @jillybean9834 - Let's dive right in...

Outdoor portraits/candids of your child:
    1. Attach your 40mm lens
    2. Enable Aperture priority (A on the mode dial)
    3. Set the aperture f-number to f/2.8
    4. Enable Auto ISO and set the maximum sensitivity to 1600
    5. Adjust the focus mode to Single-servo (AF-S)
    6. Switch your Release mode to Continuous shooting (burst)

With these settings in place, first pre-focus on the eyes by half pressing the shutter. Then re-frame your shot for better composition. Fully press the shutter and hold it down to rattle off a burst of images. This will lend itself well towards capturing candid moments right before and after your kid smiles.

Indoor portraits/candids of your child:
    1. Attach your 40mm lens
    2. Enable Aperture priority (A on the mode dial)
    3. Set the aperture f-number to f/2.8
    4. Enable Auto ISO and set the maximum sensitivity to 1600
    5. Adjust the focus mode to Single-servo (AF-S)
    6. Attach your SB-700, turn it on and angle it upwards towards the ceiling

With these settings in place, first pre-focus on the eyes by half pressing the shutter. Then re-frame your shot for better composition. When you're ready, fully press the shutter. The flash will bounce off the ceiling, spreading the light throughout the room giving you more natural looking shots indoors.

As for filters, I wouldn't use any of them specifically in regards to capturing portraits. I understand the desire to protect your lens using a UV filter, however, they can end up sapping the color and sharpness right out of your shot.

Circular polarizers are great for pumping up the saturation when capturing landscapes. Neautral density filters are really meant for creative purposes, like slowing down the shutter speed in broad daylight in order to capture flowing water (like a waterfall).

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)