Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3300 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Tamron SP Di AF 90mm f/2.8 macro

edited May 15 Posted in » Nikon D3300 Forum
New lens came today, but I can only get my D3300 to recognize the lens when it is at the minimum aperture of f/32. Otherwise I get an fEE error message telling me to "lock lens aperture at the minimum aperture" and the camera doesn't work. Here f/2.8 was a big selling point to me.

Regardless of aperture, the AF doesn't engage, not even at f/32.

While everywhere I checked said this Tamron lens for Nikon worked with any Nikon model, does it really work with the D3300, or do I have a dud lens that needs to go back to the online seller?

Comments

• edited May 15
    Update: While every source I could find said the camera and Tamron 90mm macro were compatible, I found out from tech support and the seller that they aren't actually. Buried deep in the Amazon reviews I discovered why!

This lens, the Tamron 272E has only five connector pins. For our D3300's to work with a lens, they must have eight. This may or may not be true across the board for every lens, but it does give us a way to pre-screen lenses to know if they are a possible fit.

Just thought that might save someone else from getting their hopes up and then being disappointed.