Looking for a portrait and landscape lens

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I currently have the 18-55mm that came with my D5100. I'm wanting to get another lens, but not sure what I need. I do a lot of children portraits. I almost think I want something that is going to give me a larger range of depth. I find myself wanting to zoom in when I'm out photographing landscapes. Really any recommendations for a few basic lenses would be helpful. I'm just now moving out of "Auto" and into "Aperture" mode, if that helps letting you know where I'm at as far as shooting. Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Howdy @kasey - Generally speaking, you'll need to invest in separate lenses...one for portraits and another for landscapes.

Portraits: If you're just getting started, take a look at the "nifty fifty" Nikon 50mm f/1.8G. This affordable lens produces an extremely shallow depth of field, which allows you to isolate portraits against a silky smooth background.

Landscapes: Some photographers enjoy super wide sweeping views, while others like "zooming" in on distant details. It sounds like you prefer the second category. If that's the case, check out the Nikon 55-300mm VR. This affordable lens would compliment your 18-55mm kit lens nicely, allowing you to capture distant subjects and scenes. it comes equipped with image stabilization, which will help you compose and steady those zoomed-in shots.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Happy shooting! :)