Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Best settings for subjects with glasses

edited April 27 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I have a Nikon D5100 kit lens and the Nikon 55-200mm lens. I recently used Portrait setting for outdoor portraits on a sunny day. The reflection from my glasses ruined many of my photos. How can I combat this problem?

Comments

• The main issue is that you can't use a direct flash with glasses, so any setting that defaults to the built in flash will cause problems.

Even without a flash, glasses can be a problem, but it helps if you can get the light at enough of an angle to prevent glare. If you have a non-flash source of light, you will be able to see whether glare is occurring, and often a fairly small adjustment of the subject's face angle can prevent it. Whatever angle the light hits, there will be a corresponding direction of reflection, and you must not be in that area. If the subject tilts his or her head a little, it may not take much to move the reflection out of the camera's viewpoint.