Tips on lighting, equipment and settings for Portraits

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I recently purchased a Nikon D3100 and three lenses...the 18-55mm, the 50mm f/1.8 and the 55-200mm. My ultimate goal is to be an in-home child/newborn photographer. I would love any tips on lighting, equipment, settings, lenses. Anything you think I could use. I am learning more everyday and would appreciate anything. Thank you for your help!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Howdy @Kjcknight310 - Learning how to light subjects is a technical skill that takes lots and lots of practice to get right. I would start by getting yourself a copy of Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book Volume 2 (see here) which has some great info for beginners looking to setup a small studio. It also goes over different lighting techniques and setups (external speedlites, strobes, continuous lights, etc...).

This should answer most of your questions and will also give you a clearer direction in deciding which gear would be best for you. As for settings, it will depend on the type of light system you end up going with. Happy shooting! :)
  • Thanks so much! I'll be sure to check that out! You've been a great help :)