Manfrotto lens filter suite + camera equipment insurance

edited March 2017 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hey Moose and Bruto. First, I purchased the Manfrotto Lens Filter Suite and it's great! Down side is the lenses aren’t stack-able. I am using a B&W lens. Perhaps Manfrotto lenses are stack-able? I’ll have to do some more research.

Second, I am looking into camera equipment insurance. My Bank/Auto insurance offers a “valuables” policy, which includes camera equipment from theft to damage. Problem is they just don’t get what a photographer carries (i.e. camera, lenses, filters, tripod, etc.), and the starting coverage is $100.00 per item. So, if I want to insure my 77mm circular polarizer, which cost me $67, I have to put down $100. This all starts to add up to a pretty hefty premium. Also, what about value of existing equipment vs. the cost of replacement?

Have any thoughts or recommendations? As always, thank you in advance.

Stephen

Comments

• On the second item, I'm looking into that too, and so far it seems that homeowner's or renter's insurance is probably the best solution, listing the specific property and value on a separate rider. If you don't have an ordinary homeowner's policy, you might be able to go to plain old insurance agency and arrange a personal property policy. If I find out anything better, I'll post it here, and if you do, please let us know, as this is an issue for many of us.

In the past, I've just counted most of my equipment as expendable. Losing it would be painful but not crippling. It all depends, of course, on your budget and also on where you're going. Things change as our equipment does, but you need to do some speculative arithmetic to calculate how much loss you can absorb versus how much hassle and expense you can tolerate for insurance.

• edited March 2017
    The reason I have been looking into insurance is that this site keeps “popping up” on Facebook.

https://www.next-insurance.com/photographer-insurance/

I haven’t had time to research it, perhaps you do. If you do please let me know what you think.