Transfering pictures

edited March 2017 Posted in » General Discussion
I'm taking my Samsung Android tablet and camera while on vacation. How can I transfer from my SD card to the tablet? Every card reader I've found are for computers (Windows or Mac).

Comments

• I think if your tablet has a USB connector, any USB device such as a card reader should work with it. A lot of Nikon cameras will connect directly via USB to a tablet or phone by their own cords too. If you have the USB cable for your camera, and the tablet, you might just plug them together and see what happens.
  • edited March 2017
    Thanks Bruto. Just got the camera 2nd hand, it's an old canon xsi, no cables. I'll check with Best Buy for a cable and/or a card reader. This is a new hobby for me. Having lots of fun.
  • I think that Canon has a standard sort of USB connector, which ought to be readable by a modern tablet with the correct cable, which should be easily found. I've always found a card reader more versatile with Windows as the computer reads the card as a drive, but reads the camera only into certain applications. Android may vary on that.

If you have a Best Buy someone there may well be able to tell you what works, and if not, you might be able just to take the tablet in and try something out on the spot. If you're shopping for a cable, you're best off taking the camera in too. There are several different tiny USB jacks, and a quick look on google suggests that the same cable is used for most Canons, but that it is not the same as the one used by many other digital cameras.
  • edited March 2017
    Hi,
    I think @BRUTO suggestion of a card reader may be the way to go. The reason I say this is because it is not simply a case of plugging in the camera - you need some software to interface to the camera. In the case of EOS cameras the software is called EOS Utility, but whether it will work with the older XSI cameras or even install on your tablet I do not know.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • Good update. My experience is only with Nikons and Windows. All Windows OS since Xp will open a USB card reader as a drive. They will recognize a Nikon camera automatically, but don't treat it as a drive, so the initial download is to some photo program of Win's choosing. You can move the files later, but you can't just send them where you want from the start as you can with a card reader.
  • Thanks everyone. I'll take my camera and tablet with me on Saturday. I'll post the results.
  • Great! look forward for the results :)