Canon camera recommendations

edited March 2017 Posted in » General Discussion
My sister's wedding is coming up and I'd like to dabble with photography. Wanted a few nice personal family shots, but I don’t have a good quality camera. Was looking at renting one off Fat Lama, but I didn't know which one to get. I am settled on a Canon, but not sure between the 5D and 7D. What is going to be the best one for a wedding? Photos are going to be medium range, and natural lighting (as it's outside). Lens aside, what are the main differences - which one would I feel most comfortable with?

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Fearne.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Hi @FITZDO,
    This is a tricky one. The 5D is considered to be a pro camera and the 7D a semi-pro. They are both excellent cameras with the 7D outsmarting the 5D in some areas. However, both come with a learning curve and both are quite heavy cameras. I have no idea how good your knowledge of cameras is as you say you like to 'dabble'.
    I am thinking that an enthusiast camera such as the T6s/760D might be a better choice. Canon has also just released the 77D hard on the heels of the 80D, but to buy you are looking at £1000/$1100 or so.
    Slightly cheaper than the 760D is the 750D which shares most of the specs of the former but with fewer bells and whistles.
    Whatever camera you decide upon, I suggest you use a semi-automatic mode like P mode and just take lots and lots of shots at the wedding. You can always delete any duff ones.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    PBked

P.S. I apologize, the 77D is not available until April.