UV Filters

edited March 2017 Posted in » General Discussion
Hi,
I was taking pictures today with my Canon T-6, on a hike in the mountains, with a clear, sunny and bright day. When I got home I noticed that all my pictures had sun spots or orbs that were not visible to me when I reviewed them on the spot in said bright light. I did have a polarizer filter on my lens. Google search revealed that this can have an affect on pictures taken in bright sun. What confused me were the myriad of statements of photogs who use filters and those that don't believe in filters. Do you find a filter to be beneficial or even necessary? Is it for lens protection or can it truly enhance the photo? Thanks in advance from this DSLR newbie!

Comments

• edited March 2017
    For the most part, I prefer not to use filters unless they accomplish some specific goal. They add another layer of glass, and while most good filters have little if any ill effect, they add nothing, and they can add flare and ghosting in difficult light.

A polarizer if it is used right is one of the only filters that actually does something that cannot be duplicated otherwise, as it reduces glare and reflection under some circumstances. It also darkens an image, and unless you need that, it's likely to result in slower shutter speeds, or higher ISO need.

A polarizer is most effective when the sun is coming more or less from the side.

Polarizers for glare and reflection reduction, and for a deeper sky, and neutral density filters to purposely reduce light so as to allow slow shutter speeds in broad daylight are about the only filters that do useful things for a digital camera.

UV and skylight filters had a place in film, but digital sensors have little need of them. I'd still suggest a UV filter sometimes if you're shooting in harsh conditions, where sand and debris might hit the lens, as it will protect the lens, but for impact protection it's a poor bargain. A good hood will do more good.

I would forego the polarizer too, if your lens has a rotating front element, as the polarizer must be rotated to provide its benefit, and kit lenses with rotating elements will undo that if the auto focus operates unexpectedly. If your lens front does not rotate, or if you use manual or back button focus, the polarizer is useful, but it's an annoyance otherwise. The same is true of graduated neutral density filters, which are darker on one half, so that exposure is different above and below the horizon. Once set you don't want it to rotate.

Even without a filter, some difficult light can cause the sun spots and ghosting that you're experiencing. Much of that can be avoided by careful aiming and the use of a lens shade, but sometimes it's just something you can't get rid of.
  • edited March 2017
    Thank you so much for your response! I did purchase the lens hood based on your suggestion. I will try shooting without the filter if my Arizona weather is not kicking up dust (good point) and change my aim. Thanks again!