Difference between plastic and metal mounts

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
Is there a difference between plastic and metal housings and adapters besides the obvious? I know some of the lower end Nikon lenses use plastic, but is there any real or inherent danger to using those lenses for extended periods of time outdoors?

Comments

• Howdy @climber - The underlying difference is build quality. Generally speaking, lenses with plastic mounts tend to have "cheaper" parts in terms of the mechanics and overall functionality of the lens. This can "sometimes" affect focus accuracy and sharpness. Think of it like the difference between a Mercedes and low end Kia. The low end Kia will tend to have more plastic parts than a Mercedes. Both cars will get you from point A to point B, but there's a definite difference in feel and performance.

As for concerns outdoors, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. I've heard on rare occasions that plastic lens mounts can sometimes chip or crack, obviously you don't have to worry about those things with a metal lens mount. Hope that all makes sense. Happy shooting! :)
  • Thanks Moose. I figured as much but the sharpness and accuracy was something I hadn't considered. I'm just tossing up getting the 55-200mm or the 70-300mm lens for mountaineering and was hoping to shed some weight but not clarity.
  • @climber - Having used both lenses in the past, I can say that they're capable of sharp, crystal clear shots. I was merely pointing out the "general consensus" when it comes to lenses with plastic mounts versus those with metal mounts and better build. Happy shooting! :)