Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5300 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Problems in M, A, S, P mode

edited January 27 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
Hi all,

I am having some problems with my the M, A, S, P Mode on my Nikon D5500. They seem to be quite corrupted, but the other modes look ok (effects, auto, Scene).

When in Manual, for example, I cannot go to previous pictures taken. The i button does not work for setting up the options, and I cannot adjust any setting of aperture or exposure. I have also noticed two flashing lights on the lower corners. On the right low corner, there's an orange flashing light about the FLASH, and on the left low corner is a flashing question mark inside a dark circle.

Is anyone aware of this problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited January 29
    It's hard to know, but it sounds a bit as if there's a malfunction.

I had a brief problem with my D3200 that I think may have been caused by static electricity, and went away, but at one point most of the buttons stopped working briefly. I found in this case that the only button that worked was the shutter mode button, but when I used that, it woke up. Later, it woke up when I pushed the [i] button twice. After a couple of days, it started working fine again and has since.

The flashing question mark indicates that the camera's meter disagrees with your settings. If you push the [?] button (on the D3200 it's the [-] button on the left), it should give you a message, probably telling you that it thinks you should use flash. What happens to the flashing messages if you pop up the flash?

It might be a good idea to try a complete reset of the camera. Not sure just what options are available in the D5300, but some cameras give you a button combination that resets everything.