How to photograph portraits and family photos

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have a family get together in the next couple of weeks that I'll be attending and would like to take some family photos and was wondering which settings I should use with my D3100? I have both the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm lens. I'm not sure if I plan to shoot indoor or outdoors yet. It really depends on the weather, but if i could get any hints or tips that would be awesome. I'm pretty new to slr cameras, so sorry if this is newbish. :)

Comments

• Howdy @kassiemarino - Here's what I would start with...

Group shots:
    1. Attach your 18-55mm lens
    2. Enable Aperture priority (A on the mode dial)
    3. Set the aperture f-number between f/4 to f/5.6
    4. Enable Auto ISO and set the maximum sensitivity to 1600
    5. Adjust the focus mode to Single-servo (AF-S)

With these settings in place, first pre-focus on the person in the middle of the group eyes by half pressing the shutter. Then re-frame your shot for better composition. For indoor shots, you can try disabling the flash as long as you have plenty of daylight entering the room...otherwise you'll need to use the flash.

Portraits and candids:
    1. Attach your 55-200mm lens
    2. Enable Aperture priority (A on the mode dial)
    3. Set the aperture f-number to f/4
    4. Enable Auto ISO and set the maximum sensitivity to 1600
    5. Adjust the focus mode to Single-servo (AF-S)
    6. Switch your Release mode to Continuous shooting (burst)

With these settings in place, first pre-focus on the eyes by half pressing the shutter. Then re-frame your shot for better composition. Fully press the shutter and hold it down to rattle off a burst of images. This will lend itself well towards capturing candid moments right before and after your subject smiles. Follow the same rules as mentioned above when shooting indoors.

Happy shooting! :)
  • edited September 2012
    I understand the steps 1-6, but now I am wondering what AF-area mode I should be on? Does it matter if I am on Single, Dynamic, or Auto-area AF? Also, what would I use Dynamic for? Your help is appreciated.