Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

D3300 lenses

edited October 2016 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I'm new to photography and wondering what lens to purchase. I would like a general all around lens for taking pictures of grandkids, and I also love to take pictures of wildlife and nature. I don't want to be switching lenses when taking nature and wildlife pictures. Any suggestions on which lenses I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Do you have a lens already?

If you have the 18-55mm kit lens, I would suggest you not try to duplicate that range in a super zoom, but get a complement to it. Maybe the 55-300mm, the 55-200mm, the somewhat more expensive but well made 70-300mm, or one of many third party lenses in that range. The kit lens, though it lacks telephoto reach, is a pretty good performer, and compact to carry around. Most of the time you'll know enough in advance which lens you'll need, so unless you're planning to travel light, I would not go with a do-all super zoom, which is likely to be rather large to handle, and may not be quite as good optically at the extreme ends.

If you insist on a single do-all lens, the Nikon 18-300mm has gotten fairly decent reviews, but it's not cheap, and you'll always be carrying the whole range even when you need only a little of it.