Polaroid Fader ND filter

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Any recommendations for Polaroid Fader ND filter (see here)? I'm thinking of getting this? Does faded mean the same as graduated?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    A graduated filter is half ND and half clear gradually blended between the two. A normal ND filter will have even intensity across the entire filter.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks @Dino - Much appreciated!
  • edited April 2012
    I have one of these. I use it mainly for indoor flash work when I don't want to use continuous lighting. The filter acts a bit like a polarising filter. As you turn it, it lets more or less light into the lens. So if the flash is too bright, you turn the variable ND filter until you reach the correct level. It's also useful outside if you want a slow shutter speed and you can't stop the light down enough with the camera aperture.
  • edited April 2012
    @robbo - Thanks!
  • Howdy @JohnPaulPatton - I can't speak to the Polaroid Fader ND filter, but I have used variable ND filters in the past. Generally speaking, they're not all created equal. Some of the cheaper models tend to apply a color hue or "X" pattern, depending on how much you rotate the front filter element. The only one I've had consistent results with is the Variable ND filter by Singh-Ray (see here). Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks @Moose!