How do I exit from a screen?

edited August 2016 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi there,

I'm new to my Nikon D3200. I don't know what I did, but my camara gives me a screen that has a list of information: MTR. SPD, AP. on the first line, and EXP. MODE, iso on the second. How do I exit from this mode?

Comments

• edited August 2016
    This is one of the information screens available in playback mode. In the Playback Menu you can specify various displays, of which this is one.

In Playback mode, you can cycle through the different screens that are enabled, by using the up/down arrows on the camera back.

If you want to get out of playback mode altogether, either cycle the camera on and off, or push the playback button a second time. That's the [>] button on the top left.

Some of the information in that screen can be useful if you're analyzing a picture, but most of the time it's "too much information."

I suggest that for starters, you go to the playback menu. You do this by hitting the menu button, then left arrow to get the icons along the left side. Up arrow to the playback menu. Right arrow to get into that menu, and go down to "Playback Display Options." Right arrow again on that one, and go to "Additional Information" and right arrow again. This will open a window with a number of selections with check boxes for each one. Check what you want, and uncheck what you don't. Remember, though, that you can always get out of an unwanted screen with the up/down control, so if you find you sometimes want what it gives, keep it enabled.

There is a default display that will always occur no matter what menu options you use. I recommend that as a minimum you also check the one that says "Overview." This one will give you a little image, the most useful basic information on your shot, and a histogram, which is an exposure graph. If you learn how to use the histogram, you'll gain some control. Use the up/down arrows to shuttle between screens in playback. Whichever one is the last one you chose, that will be the default for playback until you choose another.

The information screens are not generally all that useful. The "None" screen will give you the biggest image available, with no information at all on it. The "highlights" screen will give you a big display with all the blown highlights blinking. A blinking blown highlight will be a white area on your image that cannot be recovered with any post processing.

PS. I almost forgot my standard, boilerplate reminder. The printed manual for the D3200 is incomplete. If you want the full instruction manual, it's on the accompanying CD, in PDF form. I strongly recommend you download that to your computer so you can refer to it as needed.
  • edited August 2016
    Now I get the ISO information when I take picture, and when I playback to see the picture I just took it takes me to the same playback screen. What did I do wrong?
  • edited August 2016
    When you are playing back an image, use the up and down arrows of the multi selector to choose among the display options that are enabled. Even if none are enabled, there will be a default display with a fairly large image and a few bits of information along the bottom. Whichever display option you have chosen will stay chosen when you exit the playback mode, until you choose another with the up/down arrows.

If you want to select which display options are available, go to the Playback menu as noted above, and uncheck whatever ones you don't want. Make sure to arrow up to the "done" line before exiting.

In the playback menu you can also turn "image review" on and off. When on it will briefly show you the picture you just took, using whatever display option you've chosen to show. When Off it will not show anything. I leave mine off to lengthen battery life.
  • Great, you solved my problem. Thank you so much!