D5200 issues

edited July 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5200 Forum
Hey guys, newbie here. I've trolled the forums a bit but this is my first post. I was wondering if you guys can help with an issue I've been having. I've heard of the D5200 "Press shutter release again" error. From what I've read, for most people, this occurs and renders the camera almost inoperable, if what I gather is correct. I'm receiving the error myself, but it only happens when I close the aperture a bit. I have 4 lenses. The two prime lenses I have throw the error when I close the aperture by one or two stops, shooting at the fastest aperture has no issues. The two zoom lenses I have throw the error after I close the aperture by 3-4 stops. Shooting at the fastest 2 stops never throws the error. Even when I receive the error, the camera takes the photo at what seems to be the correct exposure. I can continue to take photos at the current exposure settings even when the error is up on the screen, but I cannot change any of the exposure settings. I am currently shooting photos of landscapes mainly during the day and this poses a significant problem. And to make matters worse, I'm on an island that does not seem to have any kind of camera repair service. If there is any advice that someone can give, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great day.

Comments

• Unfortunately, this seems to be one of those problems that can be one of many, all of which send the same error message, and it can be very difficult to troubleshoot.

A number of times, it turns out to be a mirror jam, caused by the mirror over-traveling the lower support. However, that usually will not allow any picture to be taken at all, so it doesn't sound as if this is it.

I'd check that the battery is good, try a different memory card, clean the lens contacts, and perhaps try resetting the camera. But if it persists, I suspect the only cure will be to get it repaired.

If the exposure seems to be OK, you might check the information on the photos (you can get it on the playback screen if you open the options in the menu) and see what aperture is actually being used. I suspect it's sticking at the largest apertures and compensating with ISO and shutter speed, but perhaps it's working in some way that is not visible, in which case, you might be able to calculate an approximate exposure for the aperture you want, and then use Shutter priority mode to force it even if you can't dial it in.
  • What make are your lenses? What mode are you shooting in?
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks for the input. I've checked the batteries and changed memory cards. The system is less than a month old. Everything was purchased new. The lenses are all Nikon Nikkor lenses:
    Nikkor AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G
    Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 GII
    Nikkor AF-S Micro Nikkor 40mm 1:2.8G
    Nikkor AF-S 35mm 1:1.8G
    I usually shoot in Manual mode. I'm learning to use the camera's light meter
    to get proper exposure. Occasionally, I shoot in aperture priority mode, when there's a photo that I really want and I want to avoid messing up the exposure myself, but it's rare that I do even that. I have avoided using any of the other modes.
    I've taken a photo at 1/3s, f/4.8, ISO 200. The photo was taken, the error came up, and when I checked the data, all was correct.
    Perhaps bruto is right and I will have to send it for repairs, which is very disheartening since everything is less than a month old.
    I'll clean the lens contacts and try again. If you have any other ideas, I'd be appreciative to hear them before I call Nikon.
    Thanks again for the help and I hope you all have a wonderful day.
  • edited August 2016
    Try aperture mode and auto mode, and see if there are any issues. Also increase ISO and try again. Use a tripod to ensure all the same test.
    Before anything else reset camera to factory fresh.
  • edited August 2016
    By trying auto you can confirm your speed, aperture and ISO are correct.
  • edited August 2016
    I've figured out how to do the reset on the camera and it seems to have fixed the problem, mostly. Whereas previously nearly every photo caused the error, and the error did not clear itself without powering off, now the error happens much less often, and pressing the shutter release button once or twice clears the error. The camera is now usable.
    If the problem returns, I will contact Nikon for repairs, but I can now resume my newfound hobby.
    Thanks for the help, and I wish you all a wonderful weekend.
  • edited December 2016
    Also check firmware, and read instructions twice.
    http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/153.html
  • edited December 2016
    Hi, I have encountered an issue and was wondering if anyone else has had this. I have a D5200 and got a new prime Nikor 35mm f/1.8. When I go outside in the cold (6 degrees), all my photos of taking pictures of sledding were blurry. I even put it on auto mode, and still blurry. I gave up and sadly missed the shot. This has happened twice now when I'm outside. Anyone think it may the cold or is it my brand new lens?
  • edited December 2016
    One thing you should check is whether the sudden change in temperature is causing the lens, or the mirror, or the autofocus sensors, to fog up.

If it only happens outdoors when it's cold, and works all right indoors when it's warm, I'd suspect this. Not a lot you can do about it except to let the camera acclimate for a while.

This is presuming that all is mounted correctly, the rig working all right indoors, the AF point centered, etc., and the lens's aperture closed down some for the bright weather. Auto mode should take care of that, as well as AF issues, but it's good to check anyway.

Check it carefully indoors when it's warmed up. If it doesn't work then, you may have more of a problem, but if it does, I'd guess it's bad weather.