Continuous shooting

edited June 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5200 Forum
The speed by continuous shooting is 8 photos per 10 seconds.
It must be 5 per second.
Can anybody tell me what is wrong?

Comments

• edited June 2016
    First make sure you have set your camera to "continuous high" not "continuous low". You should be able to approach 5 frames per second for the first few shots at a reasonable shutter speed, but as the buffer memory fills up, the speed will go down, as when the buffer fills, it must write to the memory card before it can accept more shots. It looks as if for 14 bit lossless Raw images, the buffer will only take about 8 shots, which means that it will slow down substantially after a second and a half. The advantage of the continuous low setting is that, by slowing the rate, it allows the buffer to empty more easily and allows more frames in a row.

There may be other issues, if for example, the camera is trying to focus. You will get more, and faster, repeated shots at smaller sizes and greater compression.

To test whether your camera's shutter is operating correctly, I suggest the following test. Leave the lens cap on, and set the lens to manual focus. Put the camera on manual exposure, at a shutter speed somewhere around 1/60 or faster. Now switch to continuous mode, and watching the second hand of a watch, fire off dummy shots. If the camera is set to Raw mode, you should get about 5 frames a second for the first 8 or so frames, and then it will slow way down.

Although I always think it's better to shoot in Raw mode, and the bigger the better, if you must shoot many continuous frames faster or for longer than you can achieve with "continuous low", switch to JPG mode, and if that is not enough, reduce the size. I'd reduce size a little before increasing compression.