Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Locating or setting the histogram

edited April 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
How do I locate or set the histogram? Please help.
Tom

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I think it's the same or nearly the same as on the D3200.

Go to the playback menu, and look for "playback display options". That will include a submenu for "additional photo info". Open that, and you will get a list of playback options, each with a box you can check.

There are actually two sets of histograms. The most useful one is the all-in-one exposure histogram found in the "Overview". There is also an "RGB Histogram" display which shows the four separate histograms, white (combined), and one for R, G and B separately.

When you have checked multiple playback options, you can switch between them using the up and down arrows on the camera back. The left-right arrows act as usual to go through the images, and whichever display option you have chosen will remain on until you choose a different one.

I usually leave mine on the overview, which includes the histogram, a small image, and the most useful exposure information, and use the other options as needed.

Various resources can be found on how to read a histogram, and how to use it to correct exposure, so I'll skip it here.