Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Beginning photography

edited March 2016 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Several years ago I bought a 60D with the canon zoom lens EF-S 18-135mm. My background with photography includes the old Brownie camera (boy does this date me) and the Canon AE1. I am a very beginner with the DSLR. I think I probably bought too much camera (?) with the EOS 60D and I feel so intimidated, but this is what I have to work with. Will the cheat cards help? Also, I would like a regular lens - any suggestions? Any books that you would recommend with baby steps in using a camera. Thanks for the input.

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Canon makes a basic 50mm f/1.8 AF lens, often called the "nifty fifty", which is said to be very good, and surprisingly inexpensive. I would not bother to get anything more exotic. A very expensive lens might do better and be fractionally faster, but the difference will be between fantastic and merely excellent.
  • edited April 2016
    Might also look at the 24mm or 40mm f/2.8 pancake lenses. Good prices at KEH.