Saving settings for 'scenes'

edited February 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
I have recently moved on to the Nikon D5300 having previously used a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 bridge camera and I'm loving it, but there are a few things I learned how to do on the FZ200 that I can't seem to find on the Nikon.

On the Lumix, there was a facility to save 4 different combinations of settings so that you could easily switch to them. Thus, for post-processing of HDR, I had combination "C-1" set to Aperture mode, f/11 and ISO800, with automatic bracketing of EV+/-2.

A different combination, "C-2", was used for the usual settings for Street Photography.

I would like to be able to do the same with the D5300, but I can't seem to find the right place on the menu. I have found "Manage Picture Controls", but this seems to shift hue, etc., and not the actual shooting settings.

Could anyone give me a hint as to where I can achieve this?

Thanks, Graham

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I am not intimately familiar with the D5xxx series, but as far as I know you cannot save modified versions of the scene settings. In the more expensive D7xxx series you can set up custom settings, but in the lower models, although you can modify any of the picture controls, you cannot do so as a separate setting. In other words, you could change various parameters in the "standard" control, but they would remain changed for all applications of the standard control until removed.

For most if not all the scene modes, only a few user controls are allowed, and the others (including picture control) are grayed out. The D5xxx "custom settings" menu allows a number of settings not available on the D3xxx, but I think they are still global, rather than allowing a custom shooting mode you can enter and exit.

In case you're wondering, by the way, this is not a function Nikon completely forgot. It's available on higher models. The D7100, for example, allows a couple of C custom modes.
  • Thanks @bruto. I was beginning to think that was the case. It's a shame as it seems to me that it's an important step in the evolution of a photographer. It also encourages more learning from trial and error. I guess I shall just have to create my own 'cheat sheets'!

Thanks again, Graham