Shooting outdoors in the heat

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I just bought a Canon T2i and I love it! My question is this...I live in Florida where it gets hot and very humid in the summer. What precautions should I take with my camera as far as using it outside in the muggy heat and then bringing it inside an air-conditioned building? Should I be worrying about condensation or something like that? Also, I have the UV filter on the camera to protect the lens. Should I always have it on there or only while shooting at the beach? I have already learned so much reading your forum. Thank you!

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hi @lkelly1938 - All cameras are designed to work in a range of temperatures. In the case of the T2i the range is 0-40 degrees centigrade (celsius). Advised humidity range is 85 % or less. Provided you don't go from air-conditioned straight to shooting in a high temperature you should be safe from condensation. A quick test is to put your eye to the viewfinder, if it mists up, give the camera a while to acclimatise. One precaution though is using the live view too much in hot climates as the camera can overheat quite quickly.

The jury is out on whether to keep a UV attached all the time. Some people do and some don't. It all depends on if you think your pictures are suffering from the use of a UV. I know Moose tends not to use one all the time, but I always have. The main argument is that there is more chance of lens flares and other anomalies between the filter and lens glass. I once scratched a lens, hence I never leave the UV off. They are a lot cheaper to replace! Hope this helps. Regards - PBked
  • Howdy @lkelly1938 - Yes, you should take some precaution when going from humid to air-conditioned environments or vice versa. The key is to gradually introduce the camera to the warm/humid or cold/air-conditioned air. Most of the time I use my bag/case as a way to acclimate my camera. Just leave it outside for 30 min (under close watch of course) and then slowly pull it out of the bad and see if the viewfinder or LCD fogs up. If it does, put it back into the case and wait a bit longer. You can do the same thing when stepping into an air-conditioned space.

UV filters are not created equal. Some are made from cheap low grade glass which ends up degrading sharpness, color and clarity. UV filters with special coatings and higher grade glass perform much better, but there are times when they can sap some of the "life" out of the shot. If you're around friends and family (sticky fingers and nosy uncles) or in environments where there are flying particles (dust, water, etc...) it's a good idea to protect your lens. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thank you, this was great advice about introducing the camera to different temperatures. I have the Hoya UV filter that I have read good reviews on, and I am a little accident prone when it comes to cameras, so I think I may leave the filter on most of the time.

Another question if you don't mind...I have heard about selling your work online to stock photo sites. What information can you give me about this, such as the legitimacy of these sites, can you really make any money doing this, and are there any downfalls?
  • Howdy @lkelly1938 - Yes, some photographers do make a living selling images at places like Getty Images, iStockPhoto and ShutterStock. I haven't personally dealt with any of those services, so I really can't comment. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Hi @lkelly1938 - I have submitted photos to stock sites, however, don't expect to be paid much for your photos and be prepared to sign over copyright to them.

If you want to try this to generate income, I suggest you do a little research first. Most stock sites will give out lists of subjects they require...like animals, flowers, landscapes (these often turn-up in calendars). When you know what subjects they require, enjoy your hobby while shooting subjects specifically to sell. Regards - PBked