Using third party lenses with the Canon 60D

edited February 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I was talking with a fellow 60D owner over on my Facebook page and he had a question regarding third party lenses with the Canon 60D. I thought it would be beneficial to share our conversation with all of you...

Marcos's Question: I was wondering if it's a good idea to used a 3rd party lenses with my 60D? I'm thinking about purchasing the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD AF lens.

Moose's Answer: Yep, third party lenses are completely fine. I have a couple Tamron's and Sigma's of my own. Generally speaking, they're not as sharp or quick to focus as their Canon counterparts...although most people would even notice a difference.

The Tamron 18-270mm VC is a favorite of mine. I use this lens all the time on family vacations and daily outings. The zoom range is super powerful, which allows you to be extremely creative with your photography...giving you the ability to capture everything from wide-angle (landscapes) to telephoto (distant subjects).

It comes equipped with VC (vibration compensation) which is the equivalent to image stabilization. This is extremely helpful when composing shots towards the telephoto end of the zoom range. Happy shooting! :)

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Absolutely! My first lens was a cheap Tamron 28-70mm, which I have since replaced with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It is a fantastic lens and I saved a couple hundred dollars compared to the Canon equivalent. I've also used a variety of vintage lenses with adapters and have not had a single issue.
  • @LCDVision - Thanks for sharing. I totally agree, in the beginning it's about being creative, rather than worrying about buying expensive glass. You're username intrigued me, so I looked you up. Great work on the videos. I'm assuming you filmed those with a 60D?
  • edited July 2012
    I bought a tamron 70-300mm and get great shots indoors and outside.