Extension tubes and macro

edited January 2016 Posted in » Canon T5i / 700D Forum
Hello Moose,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the awesome job you've made with these cheat cards!

I've bought some extension tubes (13mm, 21mm and 31mm) for my Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, and I was wondering which settings would fit the best for this configuration?

I will mainly shoot human eyes (iris), and so far I've found the following settings:

- Manual mode
- Aperture to f/8, f/11 or f/18
- ISO to 100

Could you enlighten me on the best way achieve that and get an awesome result?

Thanks for your precious help.

PS: My lens in equipped with a circular flash to get better lighting.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Hi @JAKEB,
    Personally I would use aperture priority set anywhere between f/1.8 and f/2.8 as the depth of field required is very short and these apertures will let in the most light. I'm assuming that your extension tubes are also auto.
    ISO 100 gives the best quality, but you would have to pixel peep to see the difference up to 400 ISO.
    Obviously, you will be using a tripod (switch off any IS) and I suggest using live view with the lens set to manual focus. You can then take advantage of the close focus check.
    For much true macro work a remote trigger is really essential to minimize camera shake, but if you haven't got one use the self timer function. If you choose to use the viewfinder instead of live view, you might consider using mirror lock-up also to reduce shake.
    As for the ring flash, what would be the point? Think about what happens to the pupil when exposed to bright light. Far better to take your pictures in a well and evenly lit room or daylight.
    Good luck and get back to us with your results so others can refer to the forum about this type of photography.
    PBked
  • edited January 2016
    Just a P.S. The only time I have photographed the human eye (many years ago) I seem to remember that I got the best shots by making all my adjustments to the camera - focus, aperture etc and then asking the subject to close their eyes for 10 seconds and then taking the shot when they opened their eyes on my count. This, however, was way back in the days of film. If I can find those pictures, I will post them for you to see the results I achieved.
    PBked
  • edited January 2016
    Hello @PBKED,

Many thanks for this top quality answer ! I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know if I succeed. ;)

Asking the subject to close his eyes for a while and take the shot right when they open their eyes is a excellent idea!

Have a nice day.